8.03.2012

Lavender Madeleines

I finally broke down and bought my first madeleine pan this summer. I suppose I didn't need it, but it sure has been nice to have! I have also made Earl Grey madeleines and the classic recipe with just vanilla and lemon zest. They are half cookie, half cake and they sort of blow my mind with a cup of tea. Maybe it's the history behind them or maybe I'm just a sucker for all things French... Or maybe I just love a nice treat! 

The lavender above is out of my garden and is now hanging in our garage. Once it's dry, I'm going to remove the flowers and enter them in the Harrow Fair. Yes, the fair is coming up and I'm as eager to win ribbons this year as I ever have been. Much to my family's chagrin....


Lavender Madeleines

5 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp edible lavender
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
Pinch fine sea salt
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs, at room temp
2 Tbsp honey
2 tsp pure vanilla extract

Melt the butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir in the lavender and let sit for 15 minutes. Line a small small sieve with cheesecloth and strain the butter; discard the lavender. 
Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together. 
Place the sugar and eggs in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat until pale yellow and thick, about 2-3 minutes. Add the honey and vanilla and beat for another minute more. Using a rubber spatula, fold in the flour mixture. When the flour is totally incorporated, fold in the butter. Press a piece of plastic wrap against the surface of the batter and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or up to 3 days. 
To bake the madeleines, preheat the oven to 400 F. Butter and flour the madeleine pan. Spoon the batter into the molds. Don't worry about leveling the batter. Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until the madeleines are golden and the tops spring back when touched. Remove the madeleines from the pan and enjoy warm or at room temperature. These should be eaten within a couple hours of being baked.

No comments:

Post a Comment